11 Mar 2011

Pieces of cast tin

While English is triumphing there in the poll I'll write my first anecdote to amuse you a bit.

In Finland we have a nice custom, or even a tradition, of casting tin on New Year's Eve 

[To my non-heathen friends: What this basically means is you take a spatula and a piece of horseshoe-shaped tin, warm the tin on a stove or on open fire (latter one is favoured in my family) and cast the melted tin in its liquid form to a dish with some cold water. Then you take that piece (or pieces) of tin out of the water and try to guess your future in this coming year by reading the features and signs in the tin.]

This last time my New Year celebration was rather tame (spend it with my family, see) and 'cause my grand-mother just kept insisting, I finally agreed to cast some tin. It took me a long while to melt it and finally, when I was quite sure it had melted completely, I threw it all with one swift motion into the bucket of water.

And the result turned out to be quite extraordinary. From the bottom of the bucket I picked up two wholesome pieces of tin. Both of these pieces were very easy to interpret. The first one I examed was indubitably a very definite rose (with petals and thorns etc.) The second one was also very obvious. It was, in fact, evidently a spermatozoon (like the ones you see in popular culture; comics etc.).

I cast the tin in hope to find out where I would end up during my future exchange year. Alas, a rose fits the bill both with Bulgaria and England (although I personally consider rose to be more of a Bulgarian than English thing). But what to make of the spermatozoon? I have no idea. Or... well. In fact I do. But I don't want to think about that.

But now I have a favour to ask: could you please help me to interpret these signs of future? I'm sure we can come up with a quite nice chat.

Stefan

PS. I'm sorry to say I do not have any pictures of these pieces of tin to prove that this story is not a false one.

4 comments:

  1. Daan Kramer Schippers12 March 2011 at 12:20

    The rose is ambiguous, as it can be both English and Bulgarian. Perhaps the Fates have yet to decide wether the wind blows from the east or west.
    The spermatozoon could be interpreted as a sign of fertility, meaning that your actions might prove fruitfull.
    In short, the Fates are telling you: 'Wherever you go, you'll do just fine'.
    Now isn't that uplifting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Tis! I like your interpretation. Makes one feel quite certain of success. Perfick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happiness all around, the beauty of life (rose) :) that is my interpretation

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's nice be merry and have happiness all around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfbB0p-yyLA

    ReplyDelete