11 Jul 2011

Cities like people

At first I wanted to write you something new about St.Petersburg, or to be bit more precise I wanted to write about the soul or the atmosphere the Northern Capital possesses especially during summertime (the very thing I'm so eager to re-experience within few days!). But then again - I've taken you to St.Petersburg already on this blog once and right now I see no reason in doing so once again. So rather than ponder upon what has been said already I would like to take you on a tour to visit a certain group of cities and towns. And this time it won't be photos or memories - this time it'll be people. Or to be completely frank: cities embodied as people. So, without further ado, let us begin!

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the idea that cities, not unlike people, have different faces, moods, personalities and even (I'm reluctant to say this but what the heck:) souls. I personally came first across this idea when a colleague of mine wrote and article (http://kopeekka.blogspot.com/2009/12/blog-post_8670.html) on this very same subject. To some extent the ideas I will share now with you are originally my colleague's and they sort of belong to him. But I suppose I'm not breaking any copyrights here so no one should get offended.

When one has the chance not just to live in a city but to experience it and to share one's life with it - then there's a possibility of becoming a particle of the organism that is called Amsterdam, Istanbul, Boston, New Delhi (you name it!). And thus one will experience it not just as a passer-by but build a relationship with the city. And when one has a relationship with a city, town or any place for that matter - then one can also say that "this is something I know", "this is something that's mine".

If there are any places that you can claim to have a relationship with - then I say that you ought to know those places like you know your friends. And as you can describe your friends you should be also able to define those aforementioned places as if they were people. I must underline that just as there are no two completely identical people there certainly are no two identical views on e.g. the city of Berlin as a person. For everybody the concept of a place is as individual as is a relationship with an other person. I suppose you get my drift. (I hope I wrote this paragraph as complex as possible, my apologizes!).

If you're lost by now I'll give you few (ugly but truthful) examples. Now I live in Moscow and by now we (Moscow and I) have established a relationship. It's not cordial by any means but we both seem to have worked hard on it already. For me Moscow (as a person!) is a vain old lady, covered in jewelry, make up, glamour and fashion. She's been through a lot of plastic operations and at times she might dress up and look like a young beautiful woman in here early twenties. But as soon as the ball is over and the midnight magic has run out you see what she really is: a sad old lady that's lost all that was dear to her and now she's got nothing and no one except the show that must go on. And what might be even more sad is the fact that she still considers herself to be the dancing queen of that show.


Moscow

Then there's is Sankt-Peterburg, Leningrad, Petrograd, Pietari, the Northern Venice. I see St. Petersburg, the bastard son of Moscow, as a man of indeterminable age. Physically he's not old. At times he seem really young and definitely, when you look at his lifestyle and tempo, he seems to be an energetic, determined and even virile man. But then again he's got a shadow of gloomy and murky past constantly lurking over him. He's become wise not by years but by his own experiences and when you look him in the eyes you see, on one hand: sadness, disappointment and suffering but yet, on the other hand: constant uncompromising and resilient hope. My St.Petersburg's motto is: times there are a-changing and we ought to change with them.


St.Petersburg

And Helsinki: my dear beloved and hated Helsinki. She's a quiet and modest old bat. But there was a time when she used to be a fine and attractive woman. She was never really that feminine and never had she the bosom of those ladies a sailor might have met on the Southern shores but then again she was (and to some extent she still is) devoted, caring and naive. When Helsinki was young she was madly in love with the guy next door called St.Peterburg. They had their romance but with time St.Peterburg became overly patronizing with this independent woman and finally the couple broke apart. Heartbroken she fled into the arms of a handsome Prussian officer (might have been called Berlin, dunno) and was oh-so-devoted to him until he used her for his own selfish purposes. Since then Helsinki has lived on her own. She has grown old, lost the little feminine she had and is now suspicions towards everyone. I meet her every morning while I'm there in Helsinki: she's focused on minding her own business, mumbling something illegible on her own and every once in a while she might be whistling "I will survive".


Helsinki

I cannot carry on without my native Tampere, Helsinki's kid brother. He's is a middle aged manager with stubbly beard, few teeth missing (with shining new dental implants there instead) and slightly puffy face (due to the regular consumption of alcohol). The suit he's now wearing doesn't suit him. His biography is a Cinderella story: he used to be an exploited, young and angry factory worker who knew his rights and would go out on a strike in a whim. Then, after certain changes, he sold his believes for money and has now become part of that plump middle class he so fiercely used to hate. Now he's living his Happily Ever After although deep down he understands that he'll never fit in to his newly adopted circles, neither will he become accustomed to his white collar outfit. On Friday nights he's singing Tapio Rautavaara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjPl2wkn30A) on karaoke with a half-empty pint in his hand.


Tampere

And last but not least there's London. To be honest I don't know London all that well but my two encounters with this chap have been enough for me to leave me with a distinct impression. London is a dangerous man with many faces: he's an old philanderer and a young playboy - he always changes his form according to his needs. Out in the daytime he's an impeccable businessman, clerk or just an ordinary gentleman but once he gets out to the dark streets of his native city - beware! Then he might be just after you money, pleasurable company or even you life - you never know for sure. In a word: in the face of London I see Mr. Dorian Gray. Why then I feel so comfortable in his company? Because, while being tricky and cunning, he really is the best of hosts. He buys you a round after round while pub music is playing on the background and he offers you all you could ever wish for: drinks, gamble, music, conversations - everything! Of course he has his own well-hidden purpose and in the end you'll (for better or for worse) probably find it out. But before you succumb yourself to his inducements you ought to think twice.


London

In due course of the next twelve months or so I will have the change to meet Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam and Paris. Perhaps even few more places. And if I do get a hold on them and will meet them in person - I'll surely let you know. But to conclude this nocturnal writing of mine I would like to challenge YOU to tell me right here, in this very blog, about your relationships with cities and towns. I would also like to encourage you to depict these cities I mentioned here in this article and share your own views on Moscow, St.Peterburg, Helsinki, Tampere and London with me and the rest who are reading this. The stage is yours and the show will go own!

Yours in Moscow,

Stefan

No comments:

Post a Comment