31 May 2011

The Road Goes Ever On

Today is the day. Once more I choose the Road. But before I take the train to Moscow I leave a note here for myself and for anyone who might come reading this site.

Here is a poem by one of best Finnish poets. By no means do I think it's the best one in his repertoire but it just happens to express the feeling I got when walking on an vast open field (lakeus) in Kauhajoki on the eve of my departure. It is a poem about the tranquillity of Finnish summer evening,about growing older and about following the road to an unknown dwelling. And in my opinion it also successfully emphasises the beauty of Finnish language.

Nocturne

Ruislinnun laulu korvissani,
tähkäpäiden päällä täysi kuu;
kesä-yön on onni omanani,
kaskisavuun laaksot verhoutuu.
En mä iloitse, en sure, huokaa;
mutta metsän tummuus mulle tuokaa,
puunto pilven, johon päivä hukkuu,
siinto vaaran tuulisen, mi nukkuu,
tuoksut vanamon ja varjot veen;
niistä sydämeni laulun teen.

Sulle laulan neiti, kesäheinä,
sydämeni suuri hiljaisuus,
uskontoni, soipa säveleinä,
tammenlehvä-seppel vehryt, uus.
En mä enää aja virvatulta,
onpa kädessäni onnen kulta;
pienentyy mun ympär' elon piiri;
aika seisoo, nukkuu tuuliviiri;
edessäni hämäräinen tie
tuntemattomahan tupaan vie.

    - Eino Leino, 1903

No comments:

Post a Comment