25 Mar 2012

London, You're a Lady!

Few weeks ago I was reading Eugene Onegin and  in a whim I started to write a poem. It's a funny little piece and is not to be taken seriously but I'm quite sure you'll find it entertaining. Above all the poem is certainly a palpable depiction of my idea of London. So, without further ado, here you have both the translation (it won't rhyme) and the original (it does):


London you're a lady


Hey London, you're a lady!
I meet you ever day,
Your eyes are like a mirror -
I see myself in them.

You were seduced by bourgeoisie
And immortalized by rockers.
You're been worshipped by wankers
And by occasional punk rockers.

Hey London, you're a lady!
I always succumb to you,
When my pint is empty
And when the pub bells ring at night.

You die with each autumn
When the cold arrow pierces you,
But never mind that -
For you'll stay forever young.

Hey London, you're a lady!
Your love is a boggy delta.

You're not an innocent lassie
And your virginity is only a memory.

You blood runs like a river,
It's black as factory smut.
Amongst others Jack the Ripper
Discovered this on your dark streets.

When the partying night is over
And when you're again covered in mist,
It is then the noise is quelled
And at last the sorrow gives in.

My love for you is a strong one -
So do forget your pain.
Your face is an alley at dawn
And in your eyes I see the sky.

Lontoo, sä oot leidi

Hei Lontoo, sä oot leidi!
Sut tapaan mä päivittäin,
Sun silmäs on kuin peili - 
Niistä näen sisimpäin.

Sut viettelivät porvarit
Ja ikuistivat rokkarit.
Sua palvovat vain runkkarit
Ja ajoittaiset punkkarit.

Hei Lontoo, sä oot leidi!
Sun syliin vaivun silloin,
Kun tyhjä on mun leili
Ja pubin kellot raikaa illoin.

Sut syksyisin vie tuoni
Kun sut lävistää kylmä nuoli,
Mutt’ älä silti huoli -
Sä oothan ikinuori.

Hei Lontoo, sä oot leidi!
Sun lempes on rämeinen suisto.
Et viaton sä oo neiti
Ja sun neitsyys on vain muisto.

Sun veres virtaa kuin joki,
Se on mustaa kuin tehtaiden noki.
Senhän Viiltäjä-Jackin toki
Öisillä kaduillas’ jo koki.

Kun päättyy öinen humu
Ja sut peittelee taas sumu,
Silloin hiljenee kaupungin kumu
Ja niin väistyy vihdoin suru.

On rakkauteni suhun luja -
Siispä unohda sä vaivas.
Ovat kasvosi aamuinen kuja
Ja loistaa silmistäsi taivas.


Now, I'm about to leave my beloved lady for few weeks on her own. The thing is - within few hours I'll begin the Great European Tour I have so long being looking forward to: it'll start with a short visit to Finland (my father's birthday) and continue with a proper two week marathon around Bohemia (and possibly Moravia) with two of my good friends, Vallu & Ville, finishing with a rather special week in Paris with my girlfriend, Sasha, before finally returning to London (for my exams) on 19th of April. So, please, wish me luck and keep reading my blog for it is rather likely that you'll get something new and interesting from all these places I'm about to visit (well, may be not Finland... it's rather boring old place for me by now). If there should be anything you're particularly interested to know or to suggest/ask me - I'm all yours (like this guy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A&ob=av2n)!

yours in the HIGHEST spirits,

-Stefan

No comments:

Post a Comment